in one the or another. the ness
the great spaces of the late New Theness, that 1
was the only the
the only the trouble attending
what appeared to him to be the only the 2
the 10. the 11.
the 12. the 3
e the the
the enon, land for 8, 20 etlog inde The 4
Gay birds the the the fi ma dark plumes 5
in one the or another. It is a form 6
the mere deal the the
the here 7
that tak-eth the
the the 8
the the the — he ne — GHB URH D F KUNAG TARUtheN 9
An Act for the relief
the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the relief
relief relief relief relief relief relief
0 O O O O O O 0 O r-n H1 H1 H1 H1 m m m H1
relief relief 0 >0
relief 0 PH relief relief
relief of relief 10
From the fines for a man’s body, though many be his wounds, the ness was graduated 11
and theness and order are the inmates of her habita [tion 12
sources (the the the; the only the; theness); and notes (further down)
- ex OCR confusions at George Jean Nathan, “Pantaloons: A-Posture,” in The Smart Set : A Magazine of Cleverness (The magazine without a dull page; the magazine that’s read in the Pullman) 50:4 (December 1916) : 131-137 (134)
- three misreads, all at The Pharmaceutical Journal and Transactions 21, respectively
(August 2, 1890) : 94, (September 27, 1890) : 251, and (November 29, 1890) : 491
- preview snippet only, at De Witt’s Choice School Speaker : Containing an unusually great variety of fine pieces: some gay, some severe; some dignified, some conversational; giving excellent opportunities for all kinds of speakers, either at school receptions or in home meetings (1882) : 97
snippet above, but evidently from list of “De Witt’s School Dialogues,” listed at hathitrust
- somewhere (opposite gutter, p218?) at The Lancet : A Journal of British and Foreign Medical and Chemical Science, Criticism, Literature and News. (London, February 24, 1849) : 219
- OCR defeated by music staves, at Thomas Hayes Bayly, set to music by Edward J. Loder, “The Rose that all are praising,” in Helen Kendrick Johnson (1844-1917, wikipedia), Frederic Dean, Reginald DeKoven and Gerrit Smith, “editors and special contributors,” The World's Best Music : Famous Songs and Those who Made Them, Vol. II (New York, The University Society, 1904) : 376
and ditto for “My Ain Fireside” by Elizabeth Hamilton (289); “God Save the King” by Henry Carey (291); “My heart’s in the highlands” (405); and “Jessie, the Flower o’ Dumblane” by Robert Tannahill, set to music by Robert Archibald Smith (436)
- OCR confusion at poor scan, The Traffic World 27:21 (May 21, 1921) : 1079 (snippet view, but same page (different scan) at hathitrust)
- snippet result only, OCR scan gone wild at “Library of the University of California” endpaper, yielding several hits but here, William Page (1861-1934), ed., The Victoria History of Shropshire, vol. 1 (of 11?) (1908); opens at hathitrust
- confused results for Georg Friedrich Handel, The Messiah : An Oratorio for 4-part Chorus of Mixed Voices, Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass Soli and Piano, edited by Thomas Tertius Noble, revised by Max Spicker, (G Schirmer, 1912) : 106
- snippet result, for The Peoples of Austria-Hungary. I. Hungary. Atlas. (Naval Intelligence Department, 1919) —
Hard to locate any specific source in volume containing many ethnic/geographical maps and “rates of change” diagrams. Scan at hathitrust opens to first of two-page table of contents.
- OCR confusion at “Private Bills, reported, read and passed,” in Journals of the House of Commons of Canada (Ottawa, Friday, 2nd June 1922) : 294 (snippet only —
— but opens at hathitrust)
- ex Whitley Stokes (1830-1909, wikipedia), D.C.L., “On the Bodleian Fragment of Cormac’s Glossary” (read December 4, 1891), in Transactions of the Philological Society (1894) : 149-206 (173),
where this —
Ness then is the name for the blow and for the wound, as is (said) in the Senchas Mór :
From grains every measurement, from the Féni every law, from treasures every appraisment,
From the fines for a man’s body, though many be his wounds, the ness was graduated.
- OCR cross-column misread, at “Female Literature of the Present Age,” in The Ladies’ Garland 1:1 (April 15, 1837) : 12
the rendered misread, in full —
freshness and and friend can repose with delight ; for neatmost delicate charm— The Sapphos and theness and order are the inmates of her habita Aspasias of antiquity , cast aside the fetters tion . of custom and the bonds of virtue .
notes (subject to revision or deletion)
One a recent hiaticular day, without direction or aim — no forward motion — wondered about disappearing into the... the what?
Stopped at the — “the most commonly used word in the English language... seven percent of all printed English-language words” says wikipedia says Peter Norvig (using (how cautiously?) google Ngram) — and went no further. Let the take the lead, on a walk so to speak, untethered from its normal-only “definite article” purpose/functions. Sounded it out, the capaciousness of its shaping...
Retained here some of the “noise” from which “sense” may arise, make itself sensible. Without the noise, there’d be no movement, nor glue-ish center of gravity.